This vegan Middle Eastern tahini salad is fresh and delicious. It is creamy, slightly nutty and versatile. It tastes amazing on sandwiches and wraps for a pop of freshness and flavor. it is really easy and quick to make and only has 6 ingredients. This easy salad that doubles as a condiment will bump any meal up a level or two.
What is Tahini?
Tahini is a creamy, nutty, and versatile ingredient. That's why it is used in both sweet and savory recipes. It's made by grinding toasted sesame seeds into a paste. Tahini is completely vegan and dairy free. It has a rich, earthy flavor and a slightly bitter edge. Tahini is a favorite in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. It's a staple ingredient in hummus, baba ghanoush, and tahini sauce. Tahini is also used in desserts, such as halva and baklava. It's a delicious and nutritious ingredient that adds a unique flavor and texture to your dishes. It is an essential ingredient in this Tahini salad.
The best tahini
This recipe was sponsored by Mighty Sesame Co Tahini. They make my favorite organic tahini that is always runny and pourable and never cakes or gets dry. I love their tahini most because it only has one ingredient: sesame seeds. Mighty Sesame Co. makes the best gluten free, keto and organic tahini. Look for the convenient squeeze bottle on shelves nationwide or order with my affiliate link below.
What is tahini salad?
Tahini salad is a Middle Eastern specialty that usually consists of cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs, lemon and tahini. It can be eaten as is or in a sandwich or wrap like a condiment. It goes particularly well with falafel or similar spice palettes like shwarma and other grilled proteins. This salad is really easy to make and comes together quickly with just a little chopping and stirring.
Is tahini salad vegan?
This is one of those recipes we call "accidentally vegan". That is because there are no meat or dairy products in the original recipe making it unnecessary to sub any vegan items. So much world cuisine is "accidentally vegan" which is one of the reasons I love eating foods from other countries so much. Their meals are so much more veggie forward than traditional American fare.
What you need to make Tahini Salad
The ingredient list to make this easy recipe is small and easy to find in most markets. Let's break down the ingredient list:
- Tomatoes: Bursting with juicy sweetness, ripe tomatoes bring an explosion of flavor to this dish.
- Persian cucumbers: Cool, crisp, and refreshing, diced cucumbers add a delightful crunch to this salad.
- Red onion: With its pungent, slightly sharp taste, the finely chopped red onion adds a touch of zest and complexity to the dish.
- Parsley: Vibrant and fresh, the finely chopped parsley infuses a green, herbaceous aroma throughout the salad.
- Sesame tahini: Rich and nutty, the sesame tahini adds a creamy, earthy foundation to the salad.
- Lemon juice: Tangy and refreshing, the lemon juice balances the flavors and adds a zesty touch.
- Water: A touch of water helps the sauce become smooth and easy to spread.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavors and bring everything together.
How to make Tahini Salad
Making this is so quick and easy. Just a little chopping and mixing makes a delicious and fresh salad.
Gather your ingredients and start chopping:
- Ripe, juicy tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- Cool, crisp, and refreshing Persian cucumbers, diced into small cubes
- A pungent red onion, finely chopped into tiny bits
- Vibrant and fresh parsley, finely chopped
Create a symphony of flavors: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, gather the chopped tomatoes, diced cucumbers, finely chopped red onion, and chopped parsley.
Infuse with zest and aroma: Drizzle the lemon juice over the vibrant mixture, unleashing its tangy freshness.
Add a creamy touch: Pour the sesame tahini, a rich and nutty elixir, into the bowl, coating the vegetables with its earthy flavor.
Enhance the flavors: Sprinkle a pinch of salt, a touch of magic that elevates the flavors to new heights.
Create a smooth canvas: Thin the sauce with a splash of water, transforming it into a creamy, drizzleable delight.
More recipes featuring Tahini
Tahini is packed with flavor, texture, and versatility. Whether you're whipping up a creamy hummus or adding a nutty touch to a salad dressing, tahini never fails to impress. I love its vegan and gluten-free nature, making it a perfect ingredient for those with dietary restrictions. And let's not forget the nutritional benefits – tahini is rich in healthy fats, protein, and fiber, making it a wholesome addition to your meals. Here are some more tahini recipes you will love.
- Healthy Homemade Tahini Granola
- Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Creamy Tahini Lime Slaw
- Fiesta Black Bean Dip
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers diced
- ¼ red onion diced
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ¼ cup sesame tahini
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 tbsp water
- Pinch salt
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, gather the chopped tomatoes, diced cucumbers, finely chopped red onion, and chopped parsley.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the vibrant mixture, unleashing its tangy freshness.
- Pour the sesame tahini into the bowl, coating the vegetables with its earthy flavor.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and then add water. Use your hands or a sturdy spoon to gently fold the ingredients together, ensuring even distribution of flavors.
- Use this to top your favorite gluten-free chickpea patties, falafel, or burgers, adding a burst of freshness and zesty goodness to every bite.