Is this creamy tahini lime slaw a meal or a side? With crunchy cabbage, chickpeas, avocado and pepitas, it is hearty enough for a main dish. I could eat the whole bowl! Or it can be a great side dish at any cookout or family party. This recipe will challenge your idea of cole slaw. It is delightfully different with so many textures and flavors plus the dressing is creamy yet dairy-free!
I love any Cole slaw but this one ups the ante. I use both red and green cabbage which I shred by hand for more texture. The cabbage gives this slaw its bulk. The crunch of cabbage pairs perfectly with the cucumber, tomato and bell pepper. It is also hardy enough to be dressed and not break down quickly which makes this a great recipe for meal prep. You can make a batch and eat it over 3 days without losing much quality. Remember to slice the avocado when serving so it does not brown.
I chose chick peas as a protein to add to this Creamy Tahini Lime Slaw. Chickpeas are so versatile. They bring protein and fiber to the party and make the slaw more filling. Chickpeas flavor is so mild, the dressing really makes them pop. Then I added healthy fats with pepitas and avocado. These ingredients help to make the slaw's nutrition profile top notch.
This slaw is dressed simply with sesame tahini, lime juice and salt. Then we add chopped mint for a pop of freshness. This Creamy Tahini Lime Slaw is sure to be your new favorite. It comes together quickly, is really flavorful and is a great healthy meal or side option for any time of year.
Creamy Tahini Lime Slaw
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 6 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 persian cucumbers diced
- ¼ red onion minced small
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 baby bell peppers chopped
- 5 mint leaves
- 3 tsp toasted pepitas
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 pinches salt
- Black pepper to your tastes
- Juice of 1.5 limes
- Chili and Lime seasoning for garnish optional
- Add chickpeas, cabbages, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, bell peppers, mint and pepitas to a large bowl
- Add tahini, salt, pepper and lime
- Mix with hands until well combined. Taste for salt and adjust to your tastes
- Garnish with sliced avocado, mint leaves and chili and lime seasoning