This Curry Eggplant and Potato Stew is a cozy vibe. The silky eggplant and humble potato are the perfect vehicle to deliver the curry flavor. This one is heavy on the aromatics, includes tangy tomatoes, zippy cilantro and heat from the garam masala. Plus, it get's a major flavor infusion from my favorite broth from Mala Girl "Cosmic Curry". I developed this recipe with a sponsorship from Mala Girl Broths. I am happy to share it.
First I start this recipe by cooking the aromatic onions, garlic and ginger.I call these the holy trinity of cooking Indian style curries. I like to chop them all by hand but you may make a paste with the garlic and ginger if you prefer. These three flavors start the base flavors of all my curry recipes.
Next I add the potatoes and eggplant and make sure to brown them well. They cook with the aromatics which gives them tons of flavor. For this recipe I salted the eggplant and rinsed them before cooking to get rid of any bitter juices. In this Curry Eggplant and Potato stew I peeled my potatoes, but it is not necessary. You may sub sweet potatoes for the white ones if you like.
I use fresh tomatoes in this recipe because they are abundant and juicy right now. If you are making the recipe in the dead of Winter, you can use 3 tbsp tomato paste instead. The combination of aromatic onion, ginger and garlic with the tomato makes a solid flavor foundation for this Curry Eggplant and Potato Stew.
Lastly I chose to use Mala Girl Broth's Cosmic Curry broth to fortify the stew with flavor. Combined with garam masala, cilantro, pepper and the aromatic flavor foundation I built, it makes this Curry Eggplant and Potato Stew one of my most delicious curry recipes to date. The broth made by the Cosmic Curry is intensely flavorful and pairs perfectly with the dish. In fact it is so scrumptious, I dare you not to eat seconds.
Curry Eggplant and Potato Stew
- Large deep sauté or saucepan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 small purple eggplant chopped
- 3 large white potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 3 tbsp ginger root peeled and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp @malagirl Cosmic Curry Broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 Black pepper to taste
- In a deep sauté or saucepan heat oil over medium heat then add onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 3-5 minutes until fragrant
- Add potatoes and eggplant, stir to combine, then cook covered for 3 minutes, stir then cover again for 3 minutes
- Season by adding smoked paprika, garam masala, salt and Cosmic Curry, stir and add tomatoes and cook 3 minutes stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add water and cover pan, simmer until potatoes are fork tender and broth has thickened to a saucy consistency. 10-15 minutes. Add black pepper to your tastes.
- Add half the cilantro to the pot and save the other half to garnish each bowl. Serve with rice or grain of choice.
Leave a Reply