This Golden Chickpea Noodle soup is chock full of vegetables and flavor. It is my go to soup for fighting the sniffles. Brimming with autumn vegetables like butternut squash, kabocha and parsnips, the flavor is deep and complex. The medicinal powers of garlic, onions, ginger and turmeric will make this your first weapon in your winter arsenal against illness.
I begin this Golden Chickpea Noodle Soup recipe by sautéing the aromatic garlic and onions. Then I add in the celery, carrots and beets and brown them slightly. Lastly I add the butternut, kabocha and sweet potato to the pan and cook until all is fragrant and slightly browned on the edges. I do this to really amplify the flavors of the vegetables. I could simply boil them, but this method makes the taste much deeper.
Once the vegetables have begun the cooking process, I add in the water. This will ensure the broth in the Golden Chickpea Noodle Soup has ample flavor without a long cooking time or any commercial bouillon. The butternut and kabocha squash break down during the cooking process and release some starch into the broth which makes it taste delicious. The sweet potatoes also serve to thicken the broth slightly. Chickpeas are the perfect addition for both their texture and protein.
I love adding ginger and turmeric to this Golden Chickpea Noodle Soup. Ginger is added whole to the pot and steeped for the entire cooking time. It adds a delightful flavor and also is great for health. The turmeric lends a beautiful golden hue to the soup. I always remove the ginger when serving. The onions and garlic are other immune boosters.
I used shell pasta in this Golden Chickpea Noodle Soup but you can use any noodle you like! Please always keep pasta separate from soup as it blows up hideously over time. For me swollen pasta is a textural aberration not to be tolerated. I always cook pasta separate and add to the bowl when serving. No need to reheat the pasta to serve. If your soup is piping hot, the cooled noodles will serve to cool your soup down just slightly so you can eat without waiting!
Golden Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Large Soup Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped small
- 4 rainbow carrots peeled and diced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut in rounds
- 1 golden beet peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip peeled and chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash cubed
- 1 cup kabocha squash peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip peeled and chopped
- 30 oz canned chickpeas drained
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 large ginger root about the size of two fingers cut in half
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 8 cups Water
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 pound shell pasta
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat and cook the onions and garlic until fragrant and browning 3-4 minutes
- Add the celery, carrots, parsnips and beets and cook for 5 minutes
- Add butternut squash, kabocha and sweet potato and cook 5 more minutes stirring often
- Add the water, chickpeas, salt, turmeric, smoked paprika and ginger. Bring to a rolling boil and then turn to a simmer
- Simmer until all veggies are fork tender. Taste for salt and adjust to your preferences.
- Cook pasta separate and add to bowls when serving. Do not add pasta to soup when storing as the pasta will blow up and have an unpleasant texture.
- Garnish with cilantro and black pepper.