This easy vegan meat sauce is the stuff dreams are made of. It is ready in a flash, pleases the pickiest of palletes and evokes cozy memories. The tangy, garlic and herby tomato sauce mixed with the seitan crumbles super tasty. Topped with cheese nutritional yeast and pepper nobody will miss the meat and cheese.
Even a household like mine with two chefs, has trouble with healthy and quick dinners on a busy weeknight. That is why this Easy Vegan Meat Sauce is a favorite of mine. Family life is hectic and kids are very picky. Resisting the urge to take the path of least resistance and feeding them junk can be hard. I feel good about whipping up this dish on a weeknight. The sauce is easy and tasty and has no added sugar like sauce out of a jar. It is much cheaper to make than an 8 dollar jar of quality sauce from the store plus you can customize it to your own family's tastes.
If your family has a hard time with the texture of vegetables, cook the sauce first and puree it. Then heat the seitan crumbles in a pan separately. Lastly combine the sauce and seitan. If you want to sneak in some additional vegetables to the breed sauce, I recommend butternut squash. Butternut purees nicely and adds an element of sweetness. This easy vegan meat sauce is perfect for picky eaters.
To make a balanced dinner bowl, aim to fill it half with vegetables. A sheet tray of roasted broccoli, brussels sprouts and corn pair really well with this dish. Another idea would be a green salad with plenty of crunchy vegetables like carrots and cucumbers.
Easy Vegan Meat Sauce
- pot, saute pan
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 8oz package seitan crumbles
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 large can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- crushed red pepper
- black pepper to taste
- nutritional yeast to taste
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Put on water for pasta to cook on back burner and cook pasta according to the box while making the sauce
- In a large skillet heat the oil then add garlic and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until toasty and fragrant
- Add seitan crumbles and bell peppers, and cook for 4 minutes
- Add tomatoes, water, oregano, and salt and simmer while you wait for the pasta to cook
- Stir in pasta, garnish with black pepper, crushed red pepper and nutritional yeast to your taste
- Serve with roasted veggies