This Butternut, Bean and Kale stew is vegan comfort at it's finest. It's chock full of baby potatoes, herbs and flavor. I developed this recipe in partnership with Mala Girl Broths. They make superior soup bases that are chock full of flavor and adaptogens yet low in sodium. For this recipe I used my favorite flavor Mushroom Brainiac which is a vegan "beef" broth alternative. It really produces a rich depth of flavor to the broth which compliments the other ingredients nicely.
This stew has humble beginnings. Like almost every soup in my repertoire, I start by sautéing the aromatic garlic and onions. The chef in me requires this extra step because it produces superior flavor. However, if you prefer to save time and steps, you may simply throw all the ingredients in a pot and make it boil until all is tender. This will still be a delicious stew, especially with the added fortification of the Mala Girl Broth. Since I am a Chef at heart, I prefer to sauté all of my aromatics and veggies although it is not necessary for all home cooks.
In this Butternut, Bean and Kale Stew the broth gets its thicker consistency from cooking down the potatoes and butternut squash. Both of them release some starch which will thicken the soup naturally and without any gluten. The addition of tomato paste also gives it a bit of thickness.
The "meat" of the stew comes from cannelini beans. These are a white bean with a meaty consistency. Great Northern white beans are a good sub, as are butter beans. Combined with potatoes, this produces a very hearty and filling stew that is not high in fat or calories. In my book that is a big win!
I spiced this Butternut, Bean and Kale soup minimally. Only three dry spices are used: smoked paprika, salt and pepper. I do this in order to let the flavors shine of all the brilliant vegetables in the recipe. The added pop of fresh thyme and kale round it out nicely. I love this comforting recipe for a chilly day and I hope you do too.
For more recipes featuring Mala Girl Broths check out: Curry Eggplant and Potato Stew or The Best Vegan Mushroom Gravy or to read more about Mala Girl and why I love them click here.
Butternut, Bean and Kale Stew
- One large pot
- 1 onion diced small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery diced small
- 2 lbs baby potatoes washed
- 3 cups butternut squash cubed
- 2 cups kale diced small
- 30 oz cannelloni beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp fresh thyme diced
- 6 cups water
- 3 tbsp Mushroom brainiac Broth from Mala Girl
- 3 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat pot over medium heat and add olive oil then sauté onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes until fragrant
- Add celery and butternut squash and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes
- Season with a sprinkle of salt and the smoked paprika and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. The butternut will get some nice color and smell really good and by now the onions and garlic will be cooked well.
- Add water, beans, potatoes and Mushroom Brainiac and bring to a boil for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender
- Finish by adding tomato paste, salt, fresh thyme, kale and black pepper. Let simmer until flavors marry- about 10 minutes. Taste for salt and adjust to your preferences.
Leave a Reply