This Winter Kale and Farro Salad is hearty, healthy and full of flavor. Everyone knows kale is super healthy. But when massaged with lemon, roasted garlic, tahini and olive oil it is exceptionally tasty. Farro is such a hearty grain, super filling and versatile. It has a neutral flavor which goes so well with all of the flavors in this tasty winter salad recipe.
This salad is easy to make and a very low maintenance recipe. I employ my handy sheet pan to do my dirty work. Roasted kabocha squash, cauliflower and peppers all come out perfect cooked together for 20 minutes. Just a little humble seasoning with olive oil, fresh rosemary sprigs, salt and garlic powder is all that is needed to make these vegetables flavor pop.
This Winter Kale and Farro salad gets an extra sweetness and tang from pomegranate arils. Their delicateness is a great compliment to the hardy kale and farro. Plus they give an exquisite pop of color to the salad that makes it more festive. The trio of lemon juice, pomegranate and roasted kabocha really give the flavor of the salad a boost. Combined with mellow and creamy tahini this is one for the history books. For another Farro Recipe try Farro Rainbow Mediterranean Salad.
Winter Kale and Farro Salad
- sheet pan, bowl
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, divided
- 3 garlic cloves whole
- 3 baby bell peppers halved
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 8 oz farro cooked according to package and cooled
- 1 bunch kale washed, stemmed and chopped in bite sized peices
- 1 lemon large, juiced
- 1 tbsp sesame tahini
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 black pepper to taste
- 1 sprig rosemary torn
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup kabocha squash cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spread cauliflower florets, garlic cloves bell peppers and kabocha squash in a single layer on a sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of salt, garlic powder and rosemary. Toss with hands to distribute oil and seasoning well and bake for 20 minutes. Then let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add the kale, remaining olive oil, lemon, tahini, salt, pepper and roasted garlic. Massage the kale gently for 5 minutes mixing all of the flavors into the kale. This is dressing the salad. Melding the ingredients together with your hands will relax the kale and produce maximum flavor.
- Add the cooked farro and mix. Then add in the roasted and cooled veggies and the pomegranite arils. (Chop the peppers first in smaller bite sized pieces)Taste for seasoning. Adjust if you like to add more salt or lemon. This salad will get more flavorful as it sits so be careful not to over salt.