I have veganized my favorite gravy recipe. When you taste this recipe, you will agree that this is the best vegan mushroom gravy ever. This recipe is easy to make and has a glorious silky texture. NO LUMPS! The depth of flavor from the shiitakes and the Mala Girl Mushroom Brainiac is magnificent. This gravy will tempt even the most fervent carnivore to come over to the greener side!
The best vegan mushroom gravy is a vegan adaptation of a recipe made famous at Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe, where I worked for a decade. The recipe itself came from Chef Heidi Wilson DiPippo and was originally a Mushroom Bacon Beer Gravy. I always adored this gravy, it was incredibly tasty and decadent. We rendered the bacon until crispy, then cooked the mushrooms in the fat, deglazed with beer, then added beef consommé. To thicken we would use a butter and flour roux and then give some pops of fresh with the green onions and black pepper. I have completely changed the recipe to veganize it but it still retains the essence and stays true to the ingredient list's magical combo.
To veganize, I have omitted the bacon of course! In it's place, I spice the mushrooms with smoked paprika and dark soy sauce. The way the soy caramelizes in combo with the smoky paprika gives it that slightly sweet and smoky flavor that bacon has. I still deglaze with beer! Instead of beef consommé I use this glorious product from Mala Girl. Mushroom Brainiac is the perfect no-beef broth with superfood flavors from reishi, lions mane, porcini, herbs and spices. This magical packet of flavor mixed with water makes the perfect substitute for beef consommé in the best vegan mushroom gravy.
The Best Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 6 oz shiitake mushrooms stems removed, sliced thin
- 6 oz white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 cup beer
- 1 pack Mala Girl Mushroom Brainiac add to 8 oz hot water
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped
- 1 black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Vegan Coconut bacon optional
- 1 tsp Tapioca Flour mixed with 1 tsp water to make a slurry. Make sure to mix well so there are no lumps.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When hot add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant
- Add Mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until browning stirring occasionally
- Add dark soy and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring often
- Add beer and cook for 3 minutes
- Add Mala Girl Broth and water combo, smoked paprika and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the slurry and cook until thickened stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes
- Last add in the green onions and coconut bacon if using.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or vegan roasts.