This Farro Rainbow Mediterranean Salad is the perfect light meal. It reminds me of dinners on the deck or picnics in the park. Though the flavors scream summer, all of the ingredients are available year round. It features garden fresh ingredients like cucumbers, herbs and cherry tomatoes. In Summer, grab them right out of the garden. In Winter buy the sweetest and most colorful cherry tomatoes you can find. Always use baby bell peppers as they have the best flavor and Persian cucumbers because they aren't seedy or bitter. These are the components that make this Farro Rainbow Mediterranean Salad pretty and tasty.
The star is the farro. Farro is an ancient grain that makes great salads. It is hearty, nutty and firm and holds up very well to dressing without getting soggy or swollen. I love this sweet and tangy vinaigrette with a hint of lemon. It makes the fresh flavors pop. Farro needs a very flavorful dressing like this to really make it shine. And shine it does in this chilled salad.This Farro Rainbow Mediterranean Salad is enjoyable all year round. Any time you crave some sunshine, this is the perfect Mediterranean recipe. I am busting it out for Spring but plan on eating it often all summer long. For another hearty yet light salad featuring farro click here.
Farro Rainbow Mediterranean Salad
- stovetop, large saucepan for farro, bowl for mixing
- 2 cups farro cooked and chilled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 baby bell peppers deseeded and chopped
- 10 calamata olives pitted and chopped
- ¼ bunch basil chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 cucumber diced small
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ½ lemon squeezed
- ¼ tsp italian seasoning
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper optional
- 1 salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the farro according to package, rinse, drain, let cool
- Mix tomatoes, cucumber, olives, farro, olives and basil in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix oil, vinegar, maple syrup, lemon, salt, italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper with a fork
- Toss the farro salad well with the dressing.
- Chill and eat within 3 days.