The best summer salsa recipe
This sweet & zesty fruit salsa is the perfect summer recipe. Serve it with some cinnamon crisps or savory tortilla chips for a popular appetizer. Or pair it with grilled veggies, or meats for a delicious and fresh kick of flavor. This one is great on tacos or even in a salad wrap. It is sweet, zesty and super fresh. The combo of all the sweet stone fruits, melons, pineapples and berries tossed in lime juice with zippy cilantro is unreal. You may find yourself craving this by the bowl on hot days.
What is salsa anyway?
Salsa is the Spanish word for sauce. There are many Mexican salsas that have been popularized in America like pico de gallo and salsa verde among others. Basically a salsa is a sauce served on the side or over many mild flavored dishes. Most salsas are intensely flavorful or spicy to enhance the taste of a main dish. This sweet and zesty fruit salsa is very flavorful and would be a great addition to grilled tofu or fish, just like a mango salsa. If you wanted to get really brave, you could also chop a red onion or a jalapeño and add it to this salsa for a more savory presentation.
Ingredients for Sweet & Zesty Fruit Salsa
This summery fruit salsa is best in the height of stone fruit, melon and strawberry season. Summertime is when juicy, ripe fruit is abundant. If you want to make this during months when peaches and plums are not available, you can substitute mandarin oranges, grapes, or blueberries. You can even use banana or apple as long as you make sure to toss them well in lime juice so they do not turn brown quickly. Be sure to use ripe avocado that is not smooshy. You want it to stay chopped not a mash.
How to Make Sweet & Zesty Fruit Salsa Fruit Salsa
There is quite a bit of peeling and chopping involved with this salad. Otherwise it is a very simple, no-cook recipe.
- To a large mixing bowl add all the chopped fruits.
- Then add lime and cilantro and just mix it up.
- Eat within 3 days for the best quality or freeze the leftovers and add to a smoothie or a margarita within 3 months.
Tips for making the best fruit salsa
Making fruit salsa is easy if you have the right tools. You need a sharp knife, a good cutting board, a big bowl and a lime juicer. Here are links to my favorite tools. These are affiliate links, I make a commission when you shop with them. Thanks for supporting my work.
Other delicious summer salads
Sweet & Zesty Fruit Salsa
- ½ pineapple peeled, cored and diced
- ½ cantaloupe peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 peach core removed and diced
- 1 plum core removed and diced
- 10 strawberries green tops removed diced
- 2 avocados peeled, pit removed and diced
- 2 mangoes peeled, pit removed and diced
- 1 lime juiced
- ½ bunch cilantro stems and leaves chopped
- To a large bowl add pineapple, cantaloupe peach , plum, strawberries and mangoes.
- Add avocado, lime and cilantro. Mix well.