The best summer orzo recipe
This summer harvest orzo salad is the perfect summery side dish. It features garden fresh produce that is bursting with summer flavors. It has peaches, peppers, cherry tomatoes and that garden zucchini that you are trying to use up! Adding kale is a great way to get your greens in.
What is orzo?
Orzo is a small oblong pasta shape that resembles rice. It is one of my favorite pastas because the texture has a really pleasant mouth feel. It is amazing in chilled pasta salads because it does not overpower the vegetables and simple light dressings make it pop. I also love orzo for its versatility. It is great in soups and warm dishes too plus it adds a great variation in texture for rice dishes.
Ingredients for Summer Harvest Orzo Salad
This salad has really simple and seasonal ingredients. It is best in the summer when all of the garden fresh vegetables are popping. To make this in Fall or Winter, simply substitute the peaches with some roasted fall squash like delicate which is sweet or some pomegranate arils. The simple dressing is easy to make and has only 5 ingredients!
- bell pepper
- olive oil
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- white balsamic vinegar
How to Make Summer Harvest Orzo Salad
This is a really easy recipe that is suitable for a beginner cook.
- First cook the zucchini, garlic and peppers until fork tender then let cool
- Cook the orzo
- In a large bowl add kale, herbs, tomatoes, orzo, peaches, cooked zucchini and peppers.
- Make the dressing in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix thoroughly.
Tips for making the best orzo salad
- Be sure to let the zucchini and peppers cool completely before adding them to the chilled salad.
- Do not overcook the orzo. Rinse it well with cold water then let it drain completely before adding to the salad. If you are cooking the orzo in advance, add 1 tsp olive oil once it is drained to make sure it does not stick together.
- Use multicolored cherry tomatoes for a breathtaking presentation.
- Both peaches and nectarines are great in this recipe. If neither are in season, use pomegranate arils, mandarin orange sections or sliced ripe pears.
- Eat this salad within three days. If it starts to get dry just refresh with a few drops of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
More summer salad recipes
Summer Harvest Orzo Salad
- 1 zucchini cut in half moons
- ½ bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup kale diced
- 2 tbsp basil chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes chopped
- 16 oz orzo
- 2 peaches sliced
- ½ bunch basil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- In a saute pan over medium heat, cook zucchini, garlic and peppers for 10 mins until fork tender then let cool.
- Cook the orzo according to the box, rinse with cool water and drain well.
- In a large bowl add kale, herbs, tomatoes, peaches, orzo and cooked zucchini and peppers.
- Make dressing in a blender by combining basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix thoroughly. Garnish with extra basil if desired.
Leave a Reply