This Spiced Carrot Apple Ginger Soup is perfect for a wintery day. The ginger, garlic and warming spices are so comforting. It is slightly sweet, spicy and very creamy. The combination of flavors sounds unusual but I promise, they come together so deliciously you will wonder why this combo isn't the norm for soups. Carrot, apple and ginger are often combined in juicing because they compliment each other so well. It works well in this savory presentation also.
First we start by frying the aromatics and spices in hot oil. Cumin seeds bring a deep warming heat to this Spiced Carrot Apple Ginger Soup. If you have a less spicy palette, I suggest cutting down or eliminating them because they bring an intense heat. Fresh garlic and ginger bring medicinal qualities that are perfect for the colder seasons. Add in some curry spice, smoked paprika and coriander and this humble soup brings grand flavor.
This Spiced Carrot Apple Ginger soup gets its creaminess from unsweetened coconut milk. We puree it with the fork tender carrots, apples and ginger to make the silkiest texture.This combination produced such a creamy, dreamy vegan soup I enjoyed my soup with some crusty bread but for a heartier meal serve it with some rice or quinoa. This one really is a dream come true on a blustery day.
To brighten the flavors, I finished the soup off with a squeeze of zippy lime. It really makes the flavor pop. Of course a garnish of cilantro is appropriate for these flavors and a few grounds of fresh black pepper to activate the turmeric. This Carrot Apple Ginger Soup is rich in flavor but comes together so quickly you will be shocked. I hope it becomes a winter favorite for you.
Spiced Carrot Apple Ginger Soup
- large pot
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 carrots peeled and chopped in thirds
- 2 apples peeled and cored, cut in wedges
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and cut in small pieces
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 15 oz coconut milk
- 1 black pepper to taste
- 1 lime cut in wedges
- 4 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium. Add cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute until sputtering.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring often until fragrant
- Add Apples, smoked paprika and ground cumin and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring often until you can smell the apples.
- Add carrots, salt and water then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Check that the carrots are fork tender. If they are continue to next step. If not cover for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, curry powder and coriander and bring to a boil.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternately you may use a blender, just be careful since the soup is hot!
- Finish the soup with a squeeze of lime, fresh cilantro and black pepper.