This Vegan Corn and Squash Chowder will blow your mind! It is creamy, hearty and sweet yet dairy and gluten free. I love veganizing classic soup recipes that were cream, butter and flour laden. This one is exceptionally delicious. Chowder is the stuff dreams are made of with it's thick and silky broth that clings to potatoes so well.
The combo of sweet potatoes, butternut squash and coconut milk produces the thickness that we all crave. Cooking them down together releases starch from the vegetables into the soup which thickens without a flour or roux. You will be shocked that this Vegan Corn and Squash Chowder has no gluten for how incredibly thick and creamy it is.
As always I begin my soup process by sautéing the aromatic onions and garlic. I think this produces a superior flavor and depth. If you prefer to throw everything into a pot to make this a less maintenance meal, it will still be tasty. Just put the vegetables and water into the pot and boil until soft, then add the coconut milk, salt and thyme and simmer until well combined.
In my Vegan Corn and Squash Chowder, I use frozen corn. This is for convenience as frozen corn is available year round. However, using fresh corn cut off the cob makes and incredible difference in the flavor profile. This recipe is a wonderful way to use leftover grilled or steamed corn. Just be careful when cutting it off the cob.
I like to use fresh thyme in my recipes but if you do not have fresh, use dry. Cut the measurement down to ½ tsp of dry thyme because the flavor is much stronger and does not have the same fresh pop that the fresh thyme creates. I finish my soup with some grounds of black pepper because I love that flavor.
Vegan Corn and Squash Chowder
- 1 large soup pot
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 tbsp Celery diced
- 2 cups Butternut squash cubed
- 1 large Sweet Potato peeled and cubed
- 1 pound Baby Potatoes halved
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 8 oz water
- 2 tsp Thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium in a large pot, then fry the onions, garlic and celery for 5 minutes stirring often until fragrant and turning golden.
- Add Potatoes and salt and cook for 5 minutes stirring often
- Add sweet potatoes, butternut and corn then cover and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add water, coconut milk and thyme and bring to a boil. Turn to a simmer and cook until all is fork tender.
- Finish with black pepper