This Quinoa and Bean Skillet Meal is an easy, quick and nutritious recipe. It is hearty and full of fiber and plant-based protein. It's shocking how quickly this vegan meal comes together. This recipe is perfect for any meal of the day. It's a quick savory breakfast, a tasty meal prepped lunch or a satisfying dinner.
The flavors of this dish are fresh and mild. Since this is such a quick recipe, I used garlic powder which is milder but for bolder flavor use fresh. Smoked paprika lends a smoky edge and lime gives it a fresh pop! Spice it up with chili flakes or hot sauce!
I love a dish that is plantful. This one has pinto beans, brussels sprouts, sweet red peppers, corn, and summer squash.Any vegetable willl work perfectly in this Easy Quinoa and Bean Skillet. All these veggies make for a super nutritious recipe!
Skillet meals are the best way to prepare veggies. They retain their integrity with this two step, quick cook process. In this method we begin with a quick sauté and finish by adding water and covering. This way we get the taste benefits of caramelizing the outside of the veggies and the texture of the quick steam. I use this technique in Creole Spiced Skillet Meal, Healthy Savory Breakfast Bowl and Turmeric Cauliflower Vegan Bowl also.
In this Easy Quinoa and Bean skillet, the recipe calls for pre-cooked and cooled Quinoa. To avoid sticking quinoa must be cooled before going into a stir-fry or skillet. Use a frozen or packaged prepared quinoa or cook and cool a big batch for use throughout the week. Alternatively, cook quinoa fresh and toss it into the skillet meal at the end instead.
Easy Quinoa and Bean Skillet
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 15 oz can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cups quinoa cooked and chilled
- 1 yellow squash diced
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts halved
- 1 avocado halved and sliced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 2 green onions diced
- ½ cup corn frozen
- ½ lime cut in wedges
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ red onion diced
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat with oil. Add Brussels, squash, red onion and bell pepper, season with salt, smoked paprika and garlic powder and cook for 7 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add pinto beans, corn, quinoa and ¼ cup water, do not stir and cover the pan and cook for 3 minutes
- Open cover, stir and then cook for an additional 2 minutes to assure that all is hot and veggies are fork tender
- Garnish with green onion, avocado and a squeeze of lime.