This Healthy savory breakfast bowl is anything but average. It is high in plant-based protein and fiber, healthy fat and calcium. Because of it's simple ingredients, quick preparation and incredible taste, this bowl is the ideal start to any day.
You all know I am not a sweet tooth. When I discovered that breakfast does not have to be a predictable array of sweet and toasted things, it blew my mind. That's when I started to think outside the box and inside the bowl. My whole life I have avoided eating breakfast because typical breakfast foods like cereals and pancakes give me the jitters. I eat and literally 40 minutes later, I am shaking from low blood sugar. There were many years where I did eat eggs and breakfast burritos while I cooked brunch in a restaurant. But once I went vegan, I needed an alternative to the veggie and egg scrambles and omelets that I favored. That is when I started cooking more dishes like this healthy savory breakfast bowl.
In my book PLANT-BASED DIET IN 30 DAYS, I include many savory breakfasts like this one. This vegan bowl has some of my favorites like chickpeas, kale and cauliflower. I am a huge fan of easy meals and this healthy savory breakfast bowl is no different. It cooks up quickly and simply in about 20 minutes. This one is great for a bulk food prep, cook a double batch and have breakfast ready for days. Just reheat in the microwave! Of course, always wait to cut the avocado when serving as they become brown very quickly. The tater tots are a treat, they give it a little naughty twist that is optional but encouraged.
Healthy Savory Breakfast Bowl
- wok or large pan
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 15 oz chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 cups kale shredded
- 10 each tater tots OPTIONAL baked and halved
- 1 avocado sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- Optional: Cook 10 tater tots in the oven or air fryer while preparing rest of dish
- Heat cooking pan on medium with oil, when hot add carrots and cook without moving for 2 minutes
- Stir then add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until fragrant stirring frequently
- Add Cauliflower, salt and smoked paprika and cook for 5 minutes stirring only occasionally. The veggies will have some color now but will not be soft yet.
- Add Chickpeas, water and kale and cover pan for 3-5 minutes to finish cooking and steaming the veggies.
- Stir until well combined, taste for salt and adjust if desired.
- Serve with sliced avocado and stud with halved tater tots