This Chana Saag Aloo Curry aka Curried Chickpeas, Greens and Potatoes is an Indian inspired curry recipe. It's heavy on spices and hearty. This curry is full of ginger, tangy tomato and garam masala. It's flavors are intense with notes of cumin and spicy black mustard seeds. This curry recipe is one of my favorites, because it is quick to make and very filling.
The main ingredients in this Chana Saag Aloo Curry recipe are potatoes, chickpeas and greens. This makes it a sensible choice for feeding families as the ingredients are both affordable and nutrient dense. I make this dish whenever I have extra greens that need using. This curried chickpeas, greens and potatoes is the perfect recipe for preventing food waste as you may use greens that are past their prime for salads or raw presentations. The potatoes are the ideal vehicle to deliver the creamy curry gravy. The addition of chickpeas kicks up the nutrition factor with a plant-powered protein source.
This Chana Saag Aloo Curry is heavy on turmeric, ginger and cumin flavors. The extra step of toasting the seeds and other dry spices really brings out the curry flavors. The addition of tomato pastes acidity also makes the curry gravy pop. If you like a spicy curry like I do, you may add a pinch of cayenne or chili flakes to bring the heat up a bit or even increase the mustard seeds by an additional ½ teaspoon. Lastly the freshness of cilantro really makes this curry chickpeas, greens and potatoes dish sing.
CHANA SAAG ALOO CURRY
- Wok or Deep Pan
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 medium sized potatoes chopped in small cubes
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained
- 2 cups unsweetened plant milk
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 5 cups Greens (spinach, chard and kale mix) chopped small
- 1 ea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- saute potatoes in oil for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally and looking for some golden color
- Push potatoes to one side and add onion, garlic and ginger and saute for 5 minutes until golden and fragrant then mix into potatoes and cook 5 more minutes
- Push all to one side then add the dry spices to “temper” which really brings out the flavors. Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin. Cook for two minutes this way then mix into the potatoes. Add salt and black pepper plus tomato paste.
- Add chickpeas, water, and plant milk and bring to a boil. It will thicken and smell amazing. Turn doen and simmer until potatoes are soft. Then stir in greens of your choice. You may use frozen if you like. Once the greens are wilted and the sauce is thick and creamy it is ready to go. Taste for salt and serve with cilantro and rice.