This Spicy Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry is tasty, nutritious and quick to make. It is hearty, full of fiber and protein and the spicy curry brings the heat! I love how quickly this one comes together with items I always have in the fridge and pantry. Nobody will know that dinner took less than 30 minutes to make!
We start this Spicy Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry the same as most of my curry recipes by frying the aromatics. Always heat the oil first and then add that holy trinity of garlic, onion and ginger. The smell of these three perfect ingredients getting toasty will make you home smell heavenly. All we need is about 5 minutes to get some color and intense fragrance and you may move on t the next step.
Cauliflower and zucchini are next to go in the pan. They do not need long to get a little color and some major flavor from the aromatics. If you want to sub summer squash for the zucchini you will get very similar results. Feel free to add in other vegetables like green beans or peas. They would work well in this recipe also.
The next step in this Spicy Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry is to toast the spices. We do this by pushing the vegetable mixture to one side and making room in the pan. We add all the dry spices and seeds and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Then stir the toasty spices into the vegetable mix. If you do not like things very spicy use only half of the cumin seeds and red pepper flakes. I made this recipe quite spicy which is why I make it a point to use the word spicy in the title.
Next we add the tomato paste, the chickpeas and the coconut milk. Once all is stirred together well, bring it to a boil then simmer until a thick gravy forms and all the flavors meld. I add the spinach and cilantro last and let them wilt by stirring. If you don't have spinach, kale would be nice in this recipe also. If you like this Spicy Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry, check out a couple of my other recipes Saucy Curry Potatoes and Chickpeas or Chana Saag Aloo Curry or Vegan Coconut Curry Dal.
Spicy Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry
- Deep Sauté pan or wok
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 15 oz chickpeas
- 15 oz coconut milk unsweetened
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup zuchinni diced
- 2 cup baby spinach cut small
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- First heat the oil over medium heat then add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes stirring often
- Make some space by pushing the vegetables to one side and add cumin seeds, smoked paprika, cumin, garam masala, curry powder, coriander and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Then distribute throughout the vegetables.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato paste, chickpeas, and salt and bring to a boil. Then let simmer for 5 minutes for flavors to meld and form a delicious spicy curry gravy. Taste for heat and salt and adjust by adding more red pepper flakes if spicier is desired.
- Last add the spinach and ½ of the cilantro and cook until all is wilted.
- Serve with rice and garnish with fresh cilantro
Leave a Reply