The best cucumber salad recipe
This creamy vegan cucumber salad is so delicious and easy to make. It has cucumbers and onions in a delicious herby yogurt sauce. This vegan recipe is the perfect cooling side dish for any curry or spicy dish and it also goes well on any sandwich or burger. The creamy dressing is made by combining plain vegan yogurt, lemon, fresh herbs and a hint. of maple syrup. This is sure to be a favorite recipe for warm days or any time you need some cooling down from spicy foods. It is so creamy it is hard to believe that it's vegan!
What is vegan yogurt?
Vegan yogurt is yogurt that is made with plant sources rather than cow's milk. It can be made with nuts, oats, soy, coconut or even peas. Vegan yogurts contain the same gut friendly active bacteria culture that traditional dairy has. But it has no dairy or lactose. My favorite Vegan yogurts are made by Kite Hill and Forager Project. These are both varieties made with nuts so if you have a nut allergy I suggest using Silk or Nancy's instead or another yogurt that is made with oats, soy or coconut. Be sure to use a plain and unsweetened vegan yogurt for this Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad. If you are having a hard time finding vegan yogurt, try Amazon who is partnered with Whole Foods.
Ingredients for Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad
This delicious and light salad is easy to make year round. It has simple ingredients that are easy to find in most markets.
- red onion
- plain vegan yogurt
- maple syrup (or sweetener of choice like agave, honey or date syrup)
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper
How to Make Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad
This salad recipe could not be easier to make. Simply chop and mix!
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well coated with the dressing.
- Eat within 3 days
Useful items for making the best salads
I have selected my favorite items to make your salad making experience more efficient and pleasurable. I love serving salad in a large wooden bowl, it just adds so much with it's rustic esthetics. These tongs are great for both tossing and serving salads. Plus they are heat resistant and dish washer safe. Everyone needs a lemon squeezer because it is no fun picking lemon seeds out of your dressings and salads. These are affiliate links and I will make a small commission when you buy. Thanks for supporting my work.
Tips for the best cucumber salad
- I prefer to use Persian cucumbers in most of my recipes. These are often called mini cucumbers in the store. They have a slightly sweet flavor and are never bitter like some garden variety cucumbers. Also their seeds are barely perceptible in texture and they have a thin skin that is pleasant to eat. They do not release copious water like many other cucumbers which makes them ideal for many recipes that are dressed.
- I like red onion in this recipe as they have such a sharp and fresh taste that I enjoy. I know many people do not have the same love for onions that I do so if you prefer a milder onion, I suggest using green onions aka scallions instead. Scallions will give the subtle nuance of the onion rather than the bite that red onion has.
- If you do not care for cilantro, simply omit and add more mint. Alternately add parsley instead. It has the freshness of cilantro without the taste that some do not like.
What should I eat Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad with?
Here are some dishes that are perfect for this side dish.
- Spicy Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry
- Saucy Curry Potatoes and Chickpeas
- Spicy Vegan Cauliflower Curry
Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad
- 3 cucumbers Persian sliced (or one English variety)
- ¼ red onion sliced thin
- 4 tbsp plain vegan yogurt
- 2 tsp mint chopped
- 3 tbsp cilantro (leaves and stems) chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice like agave, honey or date syrup)
- copious black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- In a large bowl add cucumbers, onions, mint, cilantro, vegan yogurt, maple syrup, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Mix well until all flavors are combined.
- Garnish with a pinch of crushed red pepper
- Eat within 3 days for best quality
Leave a Reply