These vegan enchiladas are delicious! Coconut tortillas stuffed with savory and cheesy crumbled tofu and corn filling and topped with roasted tomatillo salsa Verde, and baked to perfection, they are any Mexican food lover's dream and make a perfect weeknight dinner.
WHAT ARE ENCHILADAS?
Enchiladas are tortillas that are rolled around some type of filling and then drenched in sauce. Some enchiladas use red sauce, some use green sauce like these vegan enchiladas verdes and others use mole sauce. Most enchiladas use corn tortillas to wrap the filling but all kinds work. My favorite expert tip in making enchiladas is to heat the tortillas on each side with a little oil to seal them so that they do not just disintegrate in the sauce. Since many people make enchiladas in advance, in a large pan, it is important to do that tortilla heating step to ensure that your enchiladas do not get crumbly.
WHAT ARE ENCHILADAS VERDES?
In Spanish, Verde means green. So, Enchiladas Verdes means enchiladas in a green sauce. I make my enchilada sauce the same way that I would make a regular salsa verde by roasting the tomatillos, onions, garlic, and jalapeños and then blending them with water, cilantro, cornstarch, and salt until smooth.
I added a little cornstarch to make the salsa a bit more clingy to the tortillas and less watery. You will definitely love this roasted tomatillo salsa verde. The filling is made with spiced, crumbled tofu and sweet corn combined with vegan cheese. Once the sauce and filling are made, it is a quick assembly.
For this recipe I used Sana Foods coconut tortillas, I was compensated for developing the recipe in conjunction with their product. But you can use corn tortillas, flour tortillas, or gluten free tortillas to make this hearty comfort food recipe.
I love this dish as a vegan Holiday main dish or any time I want a meal that looks fancy but is easy to make. Before diving deep to learn how to make enchiladas Verdes, let’s look into the ingredients first.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN ENCHILADAS VERDES
Large burrito-sized tortillas (or 12 small corn tortillas): I have used coconut tortillas but you can use any kind of tortillas such as corn tortillas, flour tortillas, or gluten-free tortillas.
Vegan cheese: Add a cheesy twist to the filling. Top enchiladas with vegan cheese before baking for extra cheesy flavor.
Enchilada Salsa Verde: Made with garlic and onion, tomatillos for a tarty flavor, a spicy kick of jalapenos that are roasted for depth of flavor and then blended with cilantro that adds a burst of freshness, cornstarch for a saucy texture, and water until smooth. Season with salt. Each ingredient in this delicious green sauce combines to add true Mexican flavors to the dish.
Tofu Filling: This tofu filling combines protein-packed extra firm tofu sauteed to perfection in olive oil and simmered with aromatic spices (garlic powder, chili powder, and smoked paprika) along with corn that adds a delightful crunch resulting in a flavored packed filling that will take your enchiladas to the next level.
Optional Toppings: Sprinkle on some chopped cilantro and jalapenos for a burst of freshness and heat. Add lime wedges for a refreshing and citrusy twist or serve with vegan sour cream for an extra layer of flavor.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN ENCHILADAS VERDES
This is a really easy dish to make. There are basically four steps. Make the delicious green sauce, make the filling, assemble the enchiladas, and bake.
MAKE ENCHILADA SALSA VERDE
Roast onions, garlic, jalapeño, and tomatillos on a sheet pan at 400 degrees for 20 mins. Put roasted onion, garlic, jalapeño, and tomatillos in a blender with water, cilantro, cornstarch, and salt. Blend until smooth.
PREPARE TOFU FILLING
Heat oil in a large, deep sauté pan. Add tofu and spices and cook for 5-7 minutes until browning. Add corn and cook 3-4 more minutes.
ASSEMBLE VEGAN ECHILADAS VERDES
Heat the tortillas for 2 minutes on each side with a little oil. Spray a casserole pan with olive oil then roll each warmed tortilla with vegan cheese and tofu filling. Top with salsa, more vegan cheese, and tin foil. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
RECIPE TIPS FOR VEGAN ENCHILADAS VERDES
- Heat the tortillas to “seal” them so they don’t disintegrate from the sauce.
- Experiment with different vegan cheese brands to find the perfect for your taste buds.
- Adjust the spices to your liking.
- Press the extra firm tofu to remove excess moisture so it soaks up the flavor of spices.
- Experiment with fillings and toppings: Add black beans to the filling for an extra protein boost or top with avocado slices while serving for a nutrient boost.
Other delicious vegan comfort food recipes
- Vegan Au Gratin Potatoes
- Vegan Baked Stuffed Shells
- Creamy Autumn Fettuccine
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
Vegan Enchiladas Verdes
- 6 large burrito sized tortillas (or 12 small corn tortillas)
- 3 cups vegan cheese
For Enchilada Salsa Verde
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 tomatillos peeled
- 1 onion peeled and halved
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 jalapeno halved
- 1 cup water
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
For Tofu Filling
- 1 pack extra firm tofu drained and crumbled
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Optional (but recommended) Toppings
- vegan sour cream
- cilantro chopped
- jalapenos chopped
- lime wedges
For Enchilada Salsa Verde
- Roast onions, garlic, jalapeño and tomatillos on a sheet pan at 400 degrees for 20 mins.
- Put roasted onion, garlic, jalapeño and tomatillos in a blender with water, cilantro, cornstarch and salt.
- Blend until smooth.
For Tofu Filling
- Heat oil in a large, deep sauté pan.
- Add tofu and spices and cook for 5-7 minutes until browning.
- Add corn and cook 3-4 more minutes.
- Heat the tortillas for 2 minutes on each side with a little oil to “seal” them so they don’t disintegrate from the sauce.
- Spray a casserole pan with olive oil then roll each warmed tortilla with vegan cheese and tofu filling.
- Top with salsa, more vegan cheese and tin foil. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.