This Spicy Vegan Cauliflower Curry with potatoes and peas is sure to hit any Indian curry lover's sweet spot. It has hearty potatoes, nutritious cauliflower and sweet peas swimming in a heavily spiced curry gravy. Cauliflower is the perfect vehicle to deliver the spicy curry sauce and the potatoes soak up the flavors like a sponge. Serve this with some rice or naan bread for a filling and comforting meal. And don't skimp on the cilantro! It is the perfect addition to this spicy vegan potato curry. I serve mine with a little drizzle of plant based yogurt to offset the spicy sauce. But even without it, this Spicy Vegan Cauliflower Curry Recipe with potatoes and peas is fabulous.
This Spicy Vegan Cauliflower Curry gets it's heat from a combo of warming spices. The toasted cumin seeds add a deep layer of spicy that is much different from a chili powder or crushed red pepper. This kind of heat comes up from inside rather than an initial tongue burning sensation. Garam masala also adds another deep level of warmth to the dish. If you do not tolerate much spice, never fear, you can still enjoy this dish! Omit the red pepper flakes completely and scale back to 1 tsp of cumin seeds and ½ tsp of garam masala. With this variation it will only be slightly warming rather than fiery.
In most of my Indian curries, I start the recipe by frying the aromatic garlic, onion and ginger. However, in this one I start with the potatoes. This is because potatoes can take some time to get soft and I want to make sure they are browned on the outside rather than just boiled in the sauce. Searing them this way makes them much tastier.
One of my favorite curry ingredients is cauliflower. The texture and shape is perfect for a curry gravy as it clings to the florets and really gets into the nooks and crannies. It really adds another dimension to this curry. Cauliflowers mild flavor compliments the intense sauce in this Spicy Vegan Cauliflower Curry!
Peas add a little sweetness to this dish. They are such a simple and humble ingredient. For a small vegetable they have alot of flavor, plus they pack a decent plant protein punch! I love keeping a bag of frozen peas on hand to up the protein factor in any dishes that are lacking it. Cauliflower, peas and potatoes are really a trio made in heaven for this Spicy Vegan Cauliflower Curry.
Spicy Vegan Cauliflower Curry
- 5 potatoes medium size, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 onion 1 small yellow, diced
- ½ head cauliflower cut in florets
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds,
- 2 tbsp curry powder,
- ¼ tsp chili flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp garam masala,
- ½ tsp coriander,
- 2 tbsp tomato paste,
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- In a wok or large skillet, start by frying potatoes in oil and cook for 5 mins stirring often so the potatoes begin to brown.
- Then add garlic, ginger, onion and cook 10 minutes sttirring often so paotatoes do not stick
- Push the potatoes to the side and add cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute until sputtering then mix into the potatoes.
- Then add cauliflower and chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 mins until they release their juices.
- Add water, curry powder, tomato paste, garam masala, coriander, smoked paprika, chili flakes and frozen peas, bring to a boil then simmer about 15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender and the sauce has thickened into a spicy curry gravy.
- Serve with rice, more chili flakes, black pepper and cilantro and drizzle with cashew yogurt