This rainbow raw and roasted salad is so easy to throw together but looks like a masterpiece. The combo of raw and roasted ingredients is amazing. Every bite is bursting with different flavors and textures. This one is so simple, and you and your guests will be amazed by how beautiful it is.
We start by oven roasting the asparagus and bell peppers. This is the easiest and least maintenance cooking method. By tossing in scant oil and seasoning simply with salt, we bring out the natural flavors of the veggies. This method works well for thin sliced zucchini or cauliflower as well. The best part is, by cooking in this method you will simultaneously chop the raw ingredients while the roasted ones cook. This saves alot of time and makes this Rainbow Raw and Roasted Salad a breeze to assemble.
When choosing the other vegetables for your salad get creative! Think about the rainbow when you are purchasing your veggies. To dive deeper into rainbow salad making read my rainbow salad primer here. I like to lay out my different veggies side by side for a breathtaking presentation. This also allows kids and guests to "pick around" when serving themselves to avoid ingredients they do not like. This is the perfect huge centerpiece salad to accompany a summer cookout or to go with steamy bowls of soup in winter.
I dressed this Rainbow Raw and Roasted salad simply. Since there are so many ingredients and flavors, that is all that is needed to make the flavors pop. The sweet bell peppers, zesty dill, sweet tomatoes, bitter asparagus, and fresh greens do not need a heavy dressing to shine. If you think a vinaigrette will make all this healthy goodness more palatable try this. Or is creamy is more your style try this.
RAINBOW RAW AND ROASTED SALAD
- 1 lb asparagus
- 7 each sweet baby bell peppers
- 5 cups greens of choice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 each persian cucumbers
- ½ bunch fresh dill
- 2 each sliced avocado
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 each lemons squeezed
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ea salt and pepper to taste
- Roast 1 lb asparagus toss in a couple drops of oil and place on a sheet pan for 15-20 mins at 400 with 7 small sweet baby peppers whole. Once cooked season with a squeezed half a lemon and a sprinkle of salt
- Wash and chop greens and red cabbage for the base of the salad
- Chop tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs to top the greens
- De stem the roasted peppers and chop. Cut asparagus in thirds and add to salad
- Add ripe avocado and seeds
- Squeeze lemon on top, fresh ground pepper and a drizzle of olive oil or your fave dressing