This chilled sesame noodle salad is the perfect summer lunch. It's ready in less than 20 minutes yet chock full of flavor. It is deceptively simple to throw together, and the dressing packs a real flavor punch. With creamy tahini, umami soy and sweet maple combined with nutty sesame oil, this dressing is a taste sensation.
Chilled noodles like this sesame noodle salad are the perfect vehicle for flavor. Tossed with the tasty dressing they are so crave-able. Throw in some quickly blanched broccoli, crunchy cabbage and refreshing cucumbers to make this the perfect picnic side or quickie lunch by the pool. Add green onion, creamy avocado and furikake flakes for the ultimate in functional garnishes. Use frozen green peas if you don't have broccoli or red cabbage if you don't have green. Add in extra veggies or make it all about the noodles.
With a recipe for Sesame Noodle Salad this simple, there's no need to be dropping the big bucks at specialty markets. This one is the real deal. This is just like the addictive cold sesame noodles from Bread and Circus back in the 1990s. Seriously delicious and addictive, these noodles will be on your weekly summer menu. Feel free to substitute the udon noodles for your favorites like rice noodles or even spaghetti. Just be sure to drain well because excess water is always the enemy of flavor.
Sesame Noodle Salad
- 9.5 oz wheat udon noodles
- 2 persian cucumbers chpped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 cups green cabbage chopped
- 2 CUPS broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame tahini
- 2 tbsp light sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp furikake for garnish
- 2.5 avocado for serving
- Cook Noodles according to package, add broccoli florets to pot of boiling water for last two minutes of cook time. Drain, rinse with cool water and set aside
- Mix dressing in a large bowl by combining sesame oil, tahini, light and dark soy and maple syrup and combining with a whisk
- Mix cucumbers, cabbage and green onion into the bowl with the dressing, tossing well.
- Add noodles and broccoli, toss until well combined.
- Garnish with furikake and serve with avocado