This orange ginger tofu is sweet, salty and tangy. It is heavy on the ginger and garlic and the hint of orange and maple combines so well. I created this recipe several years ago when a friend asked me for a simple and kid friendly way to prepare tofu. I set out to create one with flavors kids love and this is what I came up with. This was my breakthrough recipe on instagram that got my wee vegan account noticed and shared widely. I have reworked the recipe to share on the blog with my improved recipe writing and photography. I am pleased with the result!
To make this orange ginger tofu first drain your tofu well. Then press the water out by placing the tofu between two plates and putting a weight on top. Drain it this way for at least a half an hour. Then, cube the tofu and place it on a lightly oiled sheet pan. I like to minimize the oil use by adding the oil to the pan first and spreading it to the edges with my hands. Baking it at 400 degrees makes the edges a little crispy and browned. If you like it crispier, you can toss the tofu in cornstarch before baking but I like to keep the starch to a minimum. Air frying the tofu instead also works well. I chose to bake it naked to comply with my friend's request and keep the recipe super simple.
The sauce is amazingly flavorful! The combo of ginger and garlic complements the sweetness of maple and orange. It only takes a couple of minutes to throw together this Orange Ginger Tofu sauce. Make it while the tofu is baking. Serve it with rice and roasted or raw veggies.
For another family friendly tofu recipe try this Quick Tofu and Greens Pasta.
Orange Ginger Tofu
- sheet pan and saute pan or wok
- 1 lb extra firm tofu drained and cubed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 oranges juiced or ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp water to make a slurry
- 1 tbsp green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 400
- Add 1 tsp sesame oil to sheet pan and use your hand to spread to the edges then put tofu on the sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes turning once halfway
- Make the sauce by frying the garlic and ginger in 1 tsp sesame oil over medium heat until golden and fragrant
- Add orange juice and water and stir then add maple syrup, soy sauce and bring to a boil
- Add slurry to boiling mixture and stir until thickened
- Lastly, add the tofu to the sauce, toss well and garnish with green onions.