Just because it is winter in the northern hemisphere, doesn't mean salads are obsolete. This superfood kale and quinoa salad recipe with bright citrus flavors will thaw your frozen heart. The sunny citrus combo of sweet mandarin oranges and punchy lime pairs incredibly with the buttery avocado. Then, we add smoky roasted butternut squash and crunchy bell peppers. They bring even more textural interest and depth of flavor to this quinoa salad recipe. Last, we kick it up with the superfood additions of kale and quinoa and the protein power of chickpeas.
You will love the melee of flavors, colors and textures in this superfood kale and quinoa salad. The kale and quinoa base is hardy enough to be dressed in advance and will taste better the next day. This recipe is perfect for a bulk prep to get lunches ready for the next couple of days. Leave out the avocado until serving to prevent browning. But the kale and quinoa will grow tastier with time, marinating and absorbing all the citrusy goodness. Don't skimp on the mint! It has such a fresh flavor punch that is both tasty and medicinal.
Read my post about cooking quinoa https://betterfoodguru.com/stage1/quinoa/ . I delve deep into cooking this superfood ancient grain properly, even if you are mystified. My tips will insure beautiful, fluffy quinoa every time.
Superfood Kale and Quinoa Salad with Mandarins and mint
- 2 mandarin oranges peeled and chopped
- ⅔ cups quinoa
- 1 can chickpeas drained 15 ounce can
- 1 cup butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 avocado diced
- 3 baby bell peppers seeded and diced
- 4 tablespoons mint chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 mandarin orange juiced
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ bunch kale chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- cook quinoa according to package. To yield two cups of cooked quinoa, cook ⅔ cup. When quinoa is cooked, spread onto a large platter or sheet pan and place in the refridgerator to cool
- Roast butternut squash by tossing in 1 teaspoon olive oil, sprinkling with salt and smoked paprika and roasting for 20 minutes on a sheet pan, turning once halfway. Let cool as you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl put chilled cooked quinoa, chickpeas, bell peppers and mix thoroughly until well tossed
- -add butternut, avocado, mint, lime juice,mandarin juice, salt and pepper, mandarin oranges and olive oil
- -mix until all flavors and colors are melded
- -put on a bed of kale and top with some more avocado
Leave a Reply